Menorca

Yesterday we came back from our spring vacation. We went to Menorca, my beloved island in the Mediterranean Sea. Last year we couldn't go, because the timing of school's spring holidays didn't fit up to our wishes (the holidays lasted only one week, for example, a week that actually wasn't in May but at the end of April, when it's still rather cold in Menorca and it's off season, so most things are closed). So last year we went to Sicily. 

It were a great two weeks, as always, and we saw a lot of things we didn't see before. I come to Menorca since I was five years old, but I still haven't seen all the island has to offer. The Cova des Colom for example, an enormous cave, is something that I just discovered this year, on Pinterest.
 
 

 These little stone walls are one of the features of the island and are made by hand. Stone by stone, without cement or anything.




Fences like this are also a feature of the island. They're made of olive wood.






Another thing that I've never visited before, but that's because it just wasn't open for public tours, is Lazareto, a quarantaine island for sailors in the port of Mahon. Mahon has the largest natural port in the whole world, so there's plenty of room for islands. The port is about six kilometres long.

The small boat that brings you to the Lazareto island departs from Es Castell.


The entrance


Statue dedicated to Koch, Ferran and Pasteur, three doctors who spend their life researching bacteriology. The statue represents humanity breaking free from the chains of contagious diseases.



Einthoven's electrocardiograph. ECG's are still in use, though in a much more advanced style. The way the ECG stickers are attached to the body to measure the heart's activity are called 'leads from Einthoven'. Sorry, just something I wanted to share with you because I see this leads almost everyday of my life as an OR nurse, but of course I totally understand if you've already forgotten this little side story, haha.


The only Dracaena draco in the Balears, brought by children who came here for a vacation, after the Lazareto was closed down as a quarantaine island.



Watch tower


Where people in quarantaine could 'meet' with family and friends.

One weekend we were invited by some friends who live on the island. They have a beautiful old stable renovated to live in and rent it to tourists. When they're not booked, they reside in the stable themselves in the weekends. Near their property is the very large Barranc d'Algendar, a crevice with it's own micro climate. We went for a beautiful walk inside the barranc.







 Not only the barranc is a fairytale place, but the whole terrain around the house of my friend is beautiful! Look at all those flowers! May/June is the best time of year to go to Menorca, I think. Not too hot and everything on the island is in bloom.









 Next post I will show you some other places we went on the island.

Best thing is: in just two weeks I'll fly back again, because one of my best and oldest friends, has her birthday. I met her in Menorca and she still lives there, so the only way to celebrate is to go back to the island. It's a surprise for her, though. Can't wait to see her face when me and some other Dutch friends of her, who will fly with me, wait for her in front of the hospital where she works! 

Comments

  1. Sounds like a wonderful trip. Those little olive gates are just beautiful aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
  2. what an amazing beautiful place! thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Menorca looks beautiful! My husband's parents used to have a flat in Mallorca, and he would often to to Menorca by boat. I've never been there though. I hope you have fun on your return visit, celebrating your friend's birthday! Thank you so much for sharing, and for being part of the Hearth and Soul Link Party, Liz.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, what a gorgeous place! The flowers are beautiful and I love the stone walls. Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love LOVE those olive wood gates! Thanks for sharing your trip and lovely photos with us at Creatively Crafty #ccbg :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love to hear your comments! Thank you for telling what you think!

Popular posts from this blog

Plague Doctor (free pattern)

Crochet Bag

Fisherman's Lamp