The Ardennes

Last summer my husband and I went to Bruges for a weekend, to celebrate our sixth anniversary as a married couple, and since then we are in love with Belgium. 
We had been there before, lots of times actually, but for some reason we didn't get gripped by it. Until Bruges. Since Bruges we've been to Ghent around Christmas and we've been to the Ardennes last weekend.  And we have planned two new trips to two other Belgian cities.

Some reasons why Belgium is great: 
* it has history 
* it has culture
* it has nature
* it has really good food
* it has great chocolate
And the best thing is: we live in The Netherlands and Belgium is just around the corner.

Here are some pictures of the Ardennes, so you can see it for yourself!

La-Roche-en-Ardenne:
boucherie with the famous Jambon des Ardennes
(ham from the Ardennes, a sort of smoked ham)
 
La-Roche-en-Ardenne: along the river Ourthe


Grottes de Hotton


Grottes de Hotton

Grottes de Hotton

Parc a Gibier


Parc a Gibier

Parc a Gibier

Parc a Gibier


Parc a Gibier

 


River l'Ourthe


On the Road

www.betweennapsontheporch.net

Comments

  1. Beautiful pics! We are just beginning our foray into European travel. Belgium is definitely on our list...someday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tiffiny! Belgium is great, but so are a lot of other European countries. I read on your blog you went to Spain last year. Spain is definitely my favorite European country, especially the islands.

      Delete
  2. Not to mention the yummy chocolates in Belgium! I have lots of happy memories there, as I grew up in the Netherlands.... :)
    hugs x, Crystelle
    Crystelle Boutique

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, the chocolates... Delicious, delicious! Nice to hear you are from The Netherlands! Where do you live now?

      Delete
  3. looks amazing, sigh! my friend in Amsterdam keeps telling me I must come again for a visit and she'll take me to Bruges, which she says is a dream! thanks for sharing on craft schooling Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's right: Bruges is a dream! But I love Amsterdam, too! I've lived there for eighteen years and still love this city! Especially early in the morning, when the light is so great over the grachten!

      Delete
  4. someday I will travel to Bruges! Thanks so much for linking up to The Creative Exchange!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you will, because it really is a great place to be! Thanks for all the nice comments on various projects!

      Delete
  5. That would be great for a summer trip! Share it here at Home Sweet Home, I love to see travel photos too.
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Summer or winter trip, The Ardennes are always beautiful :-) !

      Delete
  6. Thank you so much for sharing at Show-Licious Craft & Recipe Party!

    ~ Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aaaaah childhood memories. When I was a kid we used to go to Durbuy. I loved it there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great! I think we passed Durbuy, the name sounds familiair. Did you go camping there?

      Delete

Post a Comment

I love to hear your comments! Thank you for telling what you think!

Popular posts from this blog

Plague Doctor (free pattern)

Air Mail

Crochet Bag